Before we dive into the topic, it’s worth pointing out that it’s better to take your supplements like CBD oil at any time of the day than not at all.
But if you want to maximise the benefits, creating a supplement routine may help.
So when is the best time to take supplements?
But wait, can’t you just take all of your supplements at once in a multivitamin? While this is certainly an option and can be helpful for the forgetful, some people like to take individual supplements.
Timing your supplements throughout the day can help you to maximise the benefits and make sure your body always has what it needs when it needs it.
If you struggle to get into a routine, try placing your supplements in an easy-to-reach place such as the bathroom cabinet or your bedside table.
You can also set an alarm on your phone to remind you to take your supplements.
What's in this Guide?
Supplements To Take When You Wake Up
Rise and shine!
In the morning, your body needs vitamins that help with normal energy-yielding metabolism.
- B vitamins should be taken as soon as you wake up on an empty stomach. These will help to boost energy levels and reduce stress.
- Co-enzyme Q10 is involved in energy production. This should be taken with breakfast or lunch. Just don’t take it before bed, as you might struggle to drift off.
- Probiotics help to keep your gut healthy. These should be taken in the morning when stomach acid is at its lowest.
- Iron supplements help with the production of red blood cells. Iron should always be taken with food, so it’s a great idea to take it after breakfast. Leave 30 minutes between your iron supplement and your morning tea or coffee, as caffeine can limit absorption.
Supplements To Take Before Bed
At night, your body rests and recovers. Now is the time to refuel your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to thrive.
- Magnesium is great for many things, including building strong bones and protecting your heart. It also happens to make you feel quite relaxed and sleepy. So, take your magnesium supplement before bed for a great night’s sleep.
- Calcium helps to strengthen bones and also helps with muscle function. Since bone resorption peaks at night in line with circadian rhythms, taking this supplement before bed makes sense.
- CBD oil is excellent for an overall sense of wellbeing. We’re still learning about how this hemp extract can support the body. Many people like to take CBD oil at night, particularly if they use it for relaxation.
Supplements To Take During The Day
Support your health throughout the day with these simple daily supplements. You’ll get the most out of your supplements if you take them at the same time every day.
This is because your body will receive a steady supply on a predictable schedule.
- If you suffer from a slump in energy levels after midday, try adding iodine to your daily routine. This is a trace element that helps to support normal cognitive functions. Since it cannot be stored in the body, you need to make sure you’re getting a regular supply, either from your diet and supplements. Taking Iodine during the day can help give you a mid-afternoon energy boost.
- Zinc helps to support your immune system. However, since it can be harsh when taken on an empty stomach, experts recommend taking a zinc supplement after lunch.
Supplements To Take Anytime
Some supplements aren’t time-sensitive and simply need to be taken at some point during the day.
Add these to your daily routine to enjoy a boost in health and wellbeing.
Whether you take your supplement with food or on an empty stomach often depends on whether it is water-soluble or fat-soluble.
- Vitamin C is a water-soluble supplement, but since it is acidic, it can cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach. Try taking your vitamin C at the same time as your iron supplement, as vitamin C helps to increase iron absorption.
- Vitamin D helps to regulate calcium levels, which contributes to healthy bones and teeth. This supplement is fat-soluble, so it is best taken with a meal that contains saturated fats or oils.
- Fish oils help with brain health and cognitive function. As they are fat-soluble, they should be taken with a meal at any time of the day.
- CBD oil is a supplement extracted from the hemp plant. It interacts with the endocannabinoid system and helps the body to maintain homeostasis. If you are not taking it as a sleep aid, this supplement can be taken on an empty stomach at any time of day.
Mistakes to Avoid When Taking Supplements
As we mentioned above, it’s better to take supplements at the wrong time of day than not at all.
But there are some interactions you need to be aware of.
Vitamin supplements are safe when used correctly, but you should never take more than the daily recommended amount. Always check the contents of your vitamins to make sure you aren’t taking more than you need to.
For example, vitamin K should never be taken with blood thinners such as warfarin.
And if your medications have a “grapefruit warning,” there is a chance they could interact with supplements such as CBD.
If in doubt, always check with a pharmacist that you are taking the correct vitamins. If you are pregnant or nursing, it’s also essential to pay close attention to the vitamins you take.
Some fortified foods such as cereal or bread may have vitamins added to them. This means you could be taking more vitamins that you are aware of.
And finally, if you miss a dose of any vitamin, you should never double up your next dose. If you forget to take your morning vitamins, take them later in the day when you remember.
But if you only remember the next day, don’t double up your next dosage.
If you’re going to add new supplements to your daily routine, pay close attention to how you feel.
If a supplement makes you feel nauseous, try taking it with a meal. And if a supplement makes you feel sleepy, save it for nighttime.
What works for one person might not work for you, so feel free to create your own supplement routine.
If you think you’re ready to try CBD oil for yourself, our 30-day happiness guarantee lets you give it a go without worrying!