Baking with CBD oil is getting more and more popular by the day.
Whereas cannabis-related brownie recipes were once the sole domain of stoners, the rise in popularity of cannabidiol for its suggested health benefits has led to CBD infused edibles being popular with everybody from athletes and CEOs to single parents and the elderly.
CBD tincture in brownies provides an excellent method to take CBD, especially for people who dislike the taste of natural, unflavoured CBD oil, or simply struggle to remember to take it every day.
We’ve spent some time in the kitchen testing some of the best CBD brownie recipes from around the web, adding CBD oil to traditional brownie recipes, and even coming up with our own CBD brownie recipes in order to cut out the rubbish and bring you a complete list of great, tasty options to choose from.
Scroll down to check these out and get cracking with your own homemade CBD brownies, but first, it’s time to answer some of the most common questions around adding CBD oil to brownies:
Are CBD Brownies Legal?
For somebody who’s new to the idea of cooking with CBD, this might well be the first question on your mind.
There are some countries where CBD remains legal to this day, so we recommend doing your own research. However, generally, CBD is legal in the vast majority of countries in the West, including the ones where cannabis is illegal.
This is because of the differences between THC, the cannabinoid responsible for the psychoactive effects recreational cannabis users are looking for, and CBD, the cannabinoid with zero psychoactive effects and a range of potential health benefits.
To learn more, check out our resource on CBD legality, UK and beyond.
How Much CBD Tincture Should I Put in Brownies?
If you’re interested in learning how to make brownies using CBD but are already experienced in baking, this may be your only major question.
It is usually best for people to work out the best CBD dosage for themselves, since there are a wide variety of variables involved such as the quality of CBD used, the size and weight of the person, the condition trying to be treated, and more. Because of this, there is no real answer for the exact right amount to use.
Luckily, no real risks of overdose have been discovered with CBD, so you are pretty much free to experiment and find your own ideal amount.
Our recommendation would be to start off with the standard quantity of CBD we recommend in our CBD coconut oil recipe and our CBD butter recipe, and gradually increase the dose from there until you find optimal results.
You may even find positive results immediately, in which case you can just stick with the doses listed in each recipe.
How Long do CBD Brownies Last?
CBD can deteriorate if not stored correctly – however, it lasts longer than brownies do.
This means you can just store the brownies in your refrigerator and eat them before they go off, which is more than enough to ensure your CBD stays active and in good condition.
What Do CBD Brownies Do?
As mentioned briefly above, CBD doesn’t have any of the psychoactive effects experienced with it’s illegal cousin.
Then why are CBD oil brownies so popular?
People use CBD oil for a wide range of potential health benefits. While days are early and research is ongoing, a variety of academic studies have found links between CBD use and a variety of positive effects. These include pain management, help getting to sleep, a reduction in anxiety symptoms, and more.
To learn more about the potential health benefits of CBD oil with direct academic citations for all claims, take a look at our deep dive into the topic!
Can You Use Butter Instead of Oil in Brownies?
Since the majority of brownie recipes use oil, this is quite a common question, both in the world of cooking with CBD oil, and in traditional baking.
The answer is yes, as long as you use high quality, grass fed unsalted butter.
Generally, oil is considered better for brownies as it has a higher fat content, and as such we would recommend using our CBD coconut oil for brownies instead of the CBD butter whenever possible.
However, this is only because butter can create a slightly more cakey texture, and if it’s all you have to hand, don’t worry – you aren’t going to ruin your brownie recipe with oil simply by substituting in butter.
Either way, you will find super quick, easy guides on how to make CBD butter or CBD coconut oil in our post on how to make CBD edibles.
How to Make CBD Brownies
A bit further down we’re going to delve into some more advanced recipes such as brownies with peanut butter.
But sometimes, you just can’t beat the classics.
First, we’re going to start off with traditional, irresistible brownie squares. They are incredible whether served cold, or hot with ice cream and chocolate fudge sauce.
The dose of CBD is the icing on the cake!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 255g of CBD butter (learn how to make it here)
- 100g of dark chocolate in chunks
- 50g cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 50g plain flour
- Iced sugar
- 200g caster sugar
- A square baking tin (ideally around 8 inches square)
- Greaseproof paper
- A small amount of regular non-CBD butter for greasing the tin
- Optional – 75g of filling (walnuts, other nuts, marshmallows, chocolate chips etc)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Add the CBD butter and chocolate chunks to a small pan with a thick bottom. Leave on the lowest heat setting and stir constantly until fully melted, but remove the pan and put to one side before the chocolate gets hot.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Mix the melted chocolate into the mixing bowl
- Using a sieve to make the powder more fine, gently shake in the flour, cocoa and salt, then mix thoroughly again.
- Stir in any optional fillings now.
- Grease your baking tin with the butter and line it with greaseproof paper
- Pour your brownie mixture into the tray and spread it out until smooth and even
- Gently bang the bottom of the tin on something hard to shake out any air
- Bake for 25 minutes
- Leave to cool completely
- Cut into equal squares (you should get 12-16)
- Sprinkle the tops with icing sugar
- Voila! A tray of indulgent CBD brownies.
CBD Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies Recipe
For those of you that love both peanut butter and cooking brownies, you’ll struggle to find anything more tasty than these!
For the brownies:
- A pinch of salt
- 115g of our CBD butter (use salted butter this time! Learn how to prepare it here)
- 228g of cooking chocolate, broken into chunks
- 80g of all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 50g light brown sugar
- 150g regular sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
For the sweet peanut butter filling:
- 185g of smooth peanut butter
- 120g icing sugar
- 30ml of whole milk
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of Reese’s peanut butter chips
- Square baking tin, ideally 8-9 inches square
- Aluminium foil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4
- Add the CBD butter and chocolate chunks to a small pan with a thick bottom. Leave on the lowest heat setting and stir constantly until fully melted, but remove the pan and put to one side before the chocolate gets hot. Heating this too much will burn the chocolate and destroy the CBD, so being slow and gentle here is the most important part of the whole process.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl and leave to completely cool. While it’s cooling, you can make a start on the peanut butter filling.
- In another mixing bowl, beat together the vanilla, icing sugar, peanut butter, and milk until the mixture is fully combined and looks like a rough cookie dough
- Line the baking tin with the foil
- Whisk the brown sugar and regular sugar into the now cooled chocolate
- One by one, whisk the eggs into the sugar/chocolate mix
- Mix in the vanilla
- Gently fold in the cocoa powder, flour and salt
- Spread half of your brownie batter into the pan and spread until smooth
- Grab your peanut butter filling and squash with your hands into flat patties
- Put these flat peanut butter pieces on top of the brownie mixture, ensuring they cover the entirety of the brownies
- Pour the remaining brownie mixture over the peanut butter pieces
- Sprinkle the Reese’s chips and chocolate chips over the top and gently push them down into the brownie mixture using a flat surface like a spatula
- Bake for 35 minutes until the brownies begin to come away from the edge of the baking tin
- Leave to cool completely!
Crunchy Rocky Road CBD Brownies Recipe
We thought we’d mix it up a little with this one and give you a super easy, quick way to make CBD brownies!
People often ask us whether you can make CBD brownies from a brownie pre-mixed packet instead of entirely from scratch.
Not only is this easy to do, but it frees up your time to get more adventures with the other ingredients if you wish.
This recipe contains only a small amount of butter, so we recommend adding much more CBD oil to your CBD butter recipe in order to ensure you still get a high dose.
The easiest way to work this out is to check the brownie mixture to see how many individual brownies it makes, then multiply this number by the amount of CBD you need in each brownie.
These crunchy rocky road CBD brownies are so tasty that you can forget everything we’ve told you about CBD not being addictive.
Let’s jump right in:
- 1 box of ready made brownie mixture
- 1 and ½ cups of rice krispies
- ½ tablespoon of CBD butter (Learn how to make it here, but we recommend a higher amount of CBD oil)
- ½ a cup of salted peanuts
- 1 and ½ cups of chocolate chips
- 1 and ½ cups of smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup of Reese’s peanut butter cups, chopped into rough pieces
- Mix up the brownie batter according to the packet’s instructions
- Part bake them for 20-25 minutes in a baking tin
- Remove from the oven and add the peanuts and Reese’s cups
- Bake for a further 4-5 minutes
- While they are baking for the final few minutes, gently melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and CBD butter.
- Stir the rice krispies into the chocolate chip/peanut butter mix
- Pour the peanut butter mix over the brownies straight from the oven
- Leave in the refrigerator to completely cool for at least 2 hours before serving
We hope this guide to making CBD brownies has given you some ideas!
If you just want a quick, easy way to make CBD brownies, you can of course follow our rocky road recipe without all the extras – just add CBD butter to a packaged brownie mixture.
If you have the time, though, it’s absolutely worth doing one of these slightly more fancy recipes.
The taste, combined with any benefits you potentially receive from the CBD content will have you coming back again and again!