Are you interested in backing with CBD Oil?
If so, you’ve landed on the right page!
Here, we’ve assembled the best CBD cake recipes available, including a few you won’t find anywhere else.
We’ve also put together some tips on cooking with CBD oil that will hopefully make it easy for you to come up with your own CBD oil baking recipes.
Baking with CBD is an excellent way to get all of the CBD health benefits without having to take drops from a tincture each day, making it a popular treatment method for people who don’t like the taste of CBD (or just love cakes!)
Scroll down a bit further to see our CBD baking recipes, but first, here are a few tips on making edibles for a fun way to take CBD:
Can You Use Any CBD Oil for Baking?
Technically, yes, although we wouldn’t recommend using one that isn’t organic or full spectrum.
CBD oil that isn’t organic can contain nasty pesticides and other chemicals, so of course, your CBD oil cakes will contain this stuff too.
Full spectrum simply means that the CBD oil uses all of the hemp plant and therefore this ensures you have the best possible CBD in your cakes.
In this sense, the best CBD oil for baking is usually just the best CBD oil you can get your hands on, period.
However, we’d recommend avoiding flavoured ones as they’ll change how your food tastes.
We’d also avoid hempseed oil, since although this is very healthy and great for cooking, it only contains tiny traces of CBD as such is unlikely to have the same benefits in terms of your endocannabinoid system.
CBD Butter for Baking
For effective baking with CBD oil, you need to first bind your CBD with a fat.
The most common and effective ways to do this are to make CBD butter or CBD coconut oil.
One or the other are necessary in all CBD cake recipes, we’d recommend taking a look at our Ultimate Guide to CBD Cooking to learn how to make a batch, whether for baking or otherwise.
CBD Baking Heat
Another important factor of using CBD in cakes is the temperature you bake at.
Heat is important to the decarboxylation process, which makes CBD more effective.
However, too much heat will destroy the CBD and mean your CBD cakes will have no effect besides being tasty.
The boiling point of CBD is between 320 and 356 degrees Fahrenheit, or 160 and 180 degrees Celsius.
As a result, and to take the difference between various oven dials into account, we’d recommend never going over around 300 degrees Fahrenheit or 150 degrees Celsius.
Does CBD Oil Have to Be Infused Into an Oil for Baking?
It does make the end result much tastier and it does make CBD easier for the body to absorb, so if you’re making CBD cakes for a specific health-related purpose, we would highly recommend that you do this.
However, if you were to simply cook a meal or bake a cake and then add CBD tincture drops afterwards, you would still be getting a dose of CBD.
This could negatively affect the taste of your food, but in an emergency, is still a viable way to get a CBD dosage.
Vegan Baking with CBD Oil
Whereas there are plenty of recipe options for vegan cakes with CBD, you can technically make any CBD cake recipe into a vegan one with a few simple substitutions.
You can also easily turn any vegan cake recipe you find into a CBD one, as long as it contains vegan butter, coconut oil, or some other oil or fat that can be easily substituted out for one of your CBD versions.
The only ingredients there are to be concerned about are butter, cow’s milk and eggs, which can very easily and readily be switched out for vegan soy margarine, almond milk or soy milk, and vegan egg replacements respectively.
By simply making these switches, or even just using CBD coconut oil instead of CBD butter, any recipe we’ve listed here, or indeed any CBD cake recipe anywhere else, can quickly become vegan.
With that covered, let’s take a look at some recipes for the best cakes made with CBD oil:
CBD Cake Recipes
CBD Carrot Cake Recipe
This is one of the best recipes for baking with CBD because the end result is relatively healthy as cakes go and isn’t too sickly to eat on a daily basis without getting bored. This makes it an excellent way to make CBD tasty for those who want to take it daily but struggle with the taste of drops.
For the cakes:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- ¼ of a teaspoon of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 cup of our CBD coconut oil or CBD olive oil
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of flaked coconut
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup of raisins
For the frosting:
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 cup of cream cheese
- 4 cups of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
How to Make CBD Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to just under 320 degrees Fahrenheit
- Add your baking soda, flour, cinnamon and salt to a mixing bowl and mix together
- In a separate bowl, add the eggs, buttermilk, CBD/oil mixture, sugar and vanilla, and mix together.
- Add the contents of the two bowls together, and stir thoroughly
- In another bowl, mix together your flaked coconut, walnuts (if using), raisins and shredded carrots
- Add the above mixture to your batter and mix thoroughly
- Pour batter into a greased cake pan and cook for 1 hour
While your cake is in the oven, you can begin to make your frosting:
- Combine butter, icing sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla extract, and beat thoroughly until smooth
- Leave cakes to cool after cooking, then add frosting to the top
- Cut into appropriate portion sizes and serve/refrigerate
CBD Chocolate Cake Recipe
This recipe is for a CBD chocolate cake that’s decadent, indulgent, yet light.
You can cut it up into individual portions to give you a daily CBD dose, or make one to share if your friends are interested in trying CBD for themselves.
One things for sure – nobody will be turning down this cake!
For the cake:
- 300g dark chocolate, ideally a good quality one
- 150g of our CBD butter made with unsalted butter
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 100g caster sugar
- 5 eggs (not chilled)
For the delectable chocolate topping:
- 100ml of double cream
- 200g of dark chocolate, ideally a good quality one
How to Make CBD Chocolate Cake:
To make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit/160 degrees Celsius
- Break the chocolate into chunks and add it to a bowl with the CBD butter
- Set the bowl over a pan of water which is hot but not boiling, stirring constantly as the water gently melts the chocolate. Avoid letting the bowl touch the surface of the water
- Remove the bowl from the pan and leave to cool
- Add the eggs and vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Add the sugar and mix further until you get a smooth, thick mousse-like consistency. An electric whisk is ideal as you want this as well-mixed as quickly as possible. With an electric whisk this should take 4-5 minutes, so if you don’t have one, you’re going to need to go to town for a fair bit longer to get the best results.
- Ensure the mixture is thick enough by simply lifting out your whisk. When whisked enough, the mixture should leave a thick, ribbon-like trail which stays noticeable instead of simply blending back in.
- Pour your melted chocolate and CBD mixture into your thick egg mixture, and mix thoroughly, ensuring everything is equally blended together
- Pour into a baking tin that’s been pre-greased with with butter and greaseproof paper
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from the baking tin and leave to cool completely
To make and add the topping:
- Turn your cake upside down. The base should be the flattest part due to the tin, and is therefore better to apply the topping to
- Chop or grate the chocolate into fine, small pieces and warm it up again again using your bowl over warm (not boiling water), this time with the double cream instead of CBD butter. However, this time you only need to half-melt the chocolate, which should take 60 seconds or so.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and mix the chocolate thoroughly until smooth and shiny
- Pour it over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides – there is no need to spread it or ensure it’s even.
- Leave overnight, then serve
CBD Cupcakes Recipe
The quantities given here can make 24 smaller CBD cupcakes, or 12 larger, muffin-sized CBD cupcakes.
This is an excellent CBD baking recipe since it’s easy, quick, tasty, and you can control the amount of CBD in each cake.
For the cupcakes:
- 175g of our CBD butter, made with unsalted butter
- 3 pre-beaten eggs at room temperature
- ½ a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g self-raising flour
- ½ a teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons of milk
Alternatively, for chocolate cupcakes, you can swap out the 175g self-raising flour for 150g of self-raising flour plus 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder.
You will also need cake cases to put your cupcakes in, and something for the topping.
The topping can be our frosting recipe detailed above, homemade icing, packaged icing, buttercream, sprinkles, or anything else you wish.
If you made chocolate cupcakes, you can use a similar chocolate topping to the one used above in our CBD chocolate cake recipe, or even get creative with toffee, small candies or anything else you desire.
How to Make CBD Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 320 degrees Fahrenheit/160 degrees Celsius
- Add the CBD butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar into a mixing bowl.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, and cocoa (if making chocolate cupcakes) into the bowl
- Pour in the milk and mix thoroughly until thick and smooth
- Spoon the mixture into your cupcake cases, making sure each one contains an even amount
- Bake for around 15 minutes for smaller cupcakes or 20 for larger ones, until the cakes spring back into place if gently pressed. Consider turning the tray around halfway through if the cakes are baking evenly.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool until completely at room temperature
- Add your icing, frosting or other toppings, and serve!
CBD Cake Pops Recipe
This recipe is for one of the most best CBD cakes since they are so fun to make and eat, and also because it’s easy to make sure each cake pop contains a specific amount of CBD.
It’s also an incredibly easy recipe to personalise because the actual cake baking part is open to different ideas and you can even use cake mixture from a box if you’re in a rush.
- First, simply bake a simple sponge cake. Yep, that’s it. Use your favourite cake recipe, use a packaged cake mixture, get a friend who’s good at baking to make it for you, whatever – just get a cake.
- Prepare the same frosting we used above in the CBD carrot cake recipe, but replacing the butter with our CBD butter. Alternatively, use a different frosting recipe that you prefer, or once again, simply buy some frosting, and add your desired amount of CBD oil directly to it. The quantity above will be perfect for an average sized cake which will result in 10-15 cake pops, but for a larger cake or more pops, simply multiply the quantities.
- Here comes the fun part – crumble up your cake and add it to a mixing bowl with the frosting. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll the mixture into equal sized balls.
- Leave them in the refrigerator for 2 hours to firm up
- Dip the balls into icing sugar, icing, melted chocolate or any topping you prefer. That’s it!