CBD and turmeric: what’s the deal?!
Turmeric and CBD are both natural, age-old remedies, known to have been used by healers in traditional, ceremonial and domestic settings for thousands of years.
Both CBD oil and turmeric have their own balancing and restorative benefits.
But what’s the difference between CBD oil vs turmeric? Can I take CBD with turmeric? Will the combination of CBD oil and turmeric turbo-boost my health?
In this article we consider:
- What the differences are between CBD oil vs turmeric
- What happens when you combine CBD and turmeric
- Benefits and side effects of CBD oil with turmeric
Let’s dive in, and take a closer look at CBD oil and turmeric, their differences, and their respective benefits.
In this guide:
What is CBD oil?
CBD (otherwise known as cannabidoil) is a cannabinoid, derived directly from the cannabis plant.
Although many people associate cannabis as a drug that makes you feel “high”, the CBD compound is non psychoactive.
Rather than produce significant changes in the body, there are actually numerous benefits delivered by CBD.
This is down to how CBD promotes general wellness, by interacting with our endocannabinoid system; a complex network of neurotransmitters, cells and receptors crucial for maintaining bodily homeostasis in both humans and some animals.
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a common spice derived from a plant in the ginger family. Found in warm Southeast Asian countries – primarily India – turmeric’s orange colour and earthy flavour make the spice extremely popular in curry dishes.
As well as being used in culinary endeavors, turmeric is commonly appreciated for its therapeutic properties and role in traditional medicine.
But why is turmeric associated with wellness? Well, that’s all down to the main active compound in turmeric, curcumin – which is a powerful anti-inflammatory associated with wellness benefits.
One of the most traditional types of medicine that turmeric powder is used in is Ayurveda, commonly used to treat various health concerns in India.
Recognition of turmeric’s power and potential has exploded across the Western world in recent years, with turmeric often consumed as a dietary supplement in the pursuit of better health and well-being.
What are the differences between CBD oil vs Turmeric?
Although CBD oil and turmeric show similar benefits, there are a few significant differences between the two.
Turmeric provides more nutritional properties
If you’re looking to boost nutritional health, turmeric may be a better option than CBD.
However, the amount of turmeric you would need to receive the benefits it may offer is larger than the amounts typically added to a meal, so most people choose capsule supplements instead.
CBD may offer better bioavailability
Although turmeric is effective for restoring balance and general wellness, it may be counteracted by its poor bioavailability.
Turmeric is likely to have poorer absorption rates, can be chemically unstable, and is often rapidly eliminated from the digestive system.
In contrast, CBD is easier to absorb and stays in the system longer when taken orally in higher concentrations.
Can you take CBD and turmeric together?
Despite their differences, the question might not be which is best in the battle between CBD vs turmeric, but rather whether you can combine CBD and turmeric to get the best of both.
The answer? Absolutely!
CBD and turmeric make an impressively powerful duo. They can essentially help to top one another up, with both contributing towards overall health and wellness.
In addition, combining CBD and turmeric is as easy as buying CBD supplements that already contain turmeric in capsule or oil form.
What are the benefits of CBD with turmeric?
Let’s assess the benefits of these natural remedies, one-by-one, and then take a look at the benefits of CBD oil with turmeric.
Benefits of CBD oil
- CBD can help to balance the body’s processes, interacting with cannabinoid receptors in the body to help rebalance the mind and body.
- While studies are ongoing and no clinical claims can be made, CBD may offer analgesic, anti-tumour, anti-psychotic, anti-anxiety, and anti-seizure effects – according to ongoing research by the National Institute on Drug Abuse.
- CBD’s relaxant properties mean it can be an excellent choice for improving mood, reducing stress and promoting mindfulness.
- Similar to how CBD works for the mind, it can help promote calm and balance within the skin – and is increasingly commonly utilised in various CBD skincare products.
Benefits of turmeric
- Turmeric’s main active compound – curcumin – is a natural powerhouse. Curcumin works with the nervous system to restore balance and modulate external stressors – perfect if you’re looking to relieve stress.
- Due to its entirely natural composition, turmeric is an incredibly safe, side-effect free option for those looking to restore and improve mental balance and wellness.
- Turmeric can potentially help in the management of inflammatory conditions, according to research conducted in 2017 into the health benefits of curcumin.
- Turmeric is easily accessible and is readily available across the world, due to it being utilised medicinally for centuries and used in global cuisines.
- Turmeric is also an inexpensive product, due to it being a cheap, and relatively straightforward, ingredient to harvest.
Benefits of turmeric CBD oil
- CBD and turmeric can work synergistically. When taken together the effect of the two substances together can be greater than the effect provided by each on its own.
- As well as possibly supercharging the benefits of these two natural remedies, taking CBD and turmeric together simplifies wellness routines – meaning they are easier to integrate into daily life and more likely to be sustained.
10% off on your first order
Complete this one-minute quiz and find the right products for you.
What are the side effects of CBD with turmeric?
Both CBD and turmeric are generally tolerated incredibly well. But let’s look further…
Side effects of CBD
While rare, CBD can cause side effects – including such as dry mouth, diarrhoea, reduced appetite, drowsiness and fatigue.
CBD can also interact with other medications you’re taking, so be sure to check with a medical professional before use.
Side effects of turmeric
Turmeric usually doesn’t cause serious side effects. However, some people can experience mild side effects such as stomach upset, nausea, dizziness, or diarrhoea.
Side effects of turmeric CBD oil
There’s been very little research into the safety and efficacy of using turmeric and CBD together. But, as both are generally very safe substances, anecdotal evidence suggests there shouldn’t be anything to worry about in terms of side effects – as long as you tolerate each substance well individually.
However, if you are concerned about how the combination may react with your medication, you should always check with a medical professional first.
Before integrating CBD into your wellness routine, we always advise speaking with your doctor first – we’d say the same if you consider incorporating a turmeric/CBD combination.
How to take turmeric CBD oil
Turmeric CBD oil can be taken as you would any other CBD oil – sublingually.
However, if you wish to take CBD and turmeric separately, you can!
Just consume your CBD as you normally would and add turmeric as a supplement to your routine.
To consume turmeric oil, you can always add powdered turmeric to food or drinks – we’d advise heating up whatever you plan to consume, to improve the bioavailability of the turmeric.
That said, if you’re looking to completely integrate turmeric into a wellness routine, we’d recommend consuming turmeric capsules.
These will contain higher quantities than you’d manage to ingest through meals, and are generally a more practical choice – especially if you plant to take turmeric with your CBD.
Final thoughts on CBD and turmeric
CBD oil and turmeric are both excellent choices for restoring balance and well-being to the body and mind.
If you generally respond well to turmeric and CBD oil individually, there’s a good case for combining the two and doubling up on that natural goodness. Integrating CBD oil with turmeric into your daily routine is not only easy to do but will also allow you to take advantage of that synergistic super-boost.